Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Off-grid post, 10.6.20

 



This post is about power. For my purposes out on the desert, a solar power system is contemplated. However, some doubts have appeared on the scene, as it looks like my current little system is dead. Not sick, but D.E.A.D dead.

Replacement parts are not that much, and this little system doesn't do much. But what it does is needed. There are alternatives, but not good ones.

So I need to buy a replacement for it when it is a little over 5 years old, but was expected to last longer than that. This is the source of doubt. If a system doesn't last, then what?

The downside to solar is the high upfront costs. You are expected to recoup your initial investment with free energy over a long period of time. Evidently, this is not the case.

If this is an anomaly, and solar really does last a lot longer than this, it can be justified. Otherwise, what are the alternatives?

Solar has no moving parts. A generator does. If a generator is used instead, how long does it last? Something tells me that it won't last that long either. In five years or less, it will also need to be replaced. A generator will produce more power though, for the amount of upfront costs. You will need to spend money on the fuel, however.

They both will need batteries. Seriously, you cannot run a generator continually. The fuel bill will be ruinous.

That means a battery system for either alternative. The solar absolutely needs one. The generator may not, but it may be desirable to add a charger to the mix, and let the generator run the charger which charges the batteries. When it is off it saves fuel.

I have a 2 cycle generator already. Yet I have never used it. It will require gasoline and an additive to the gas since it doesn't use oil for lubrication.

This little generator will only output a tiny amount to charge a battery. About the same as the solar panel I've got.

Actually for my own purposes, the generator may be attempted. Meanwhile, I can check out if there's any way to repair a solar panel.

A thought here: There was this off-grid reality show based on the lives of people living in the Arctic. I think it was called "Life Below Zero". In comparison to their problems, mine seems rather trivial. But I'm not yet out in the desert. This little generator can't handle what I will need out there. But neither would the solar panel.

It's a simulation. It's like training wheels for a tyke learning to ride a bike. No reason to get cocky. I've got a long way to go yet.





No comments: