Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Pet Peeves


One of my favorites is this automatic updating systems they have for phones and
computers.  Often it seems that my computer will stop functioning properly, and I
have noted in the past that once this happens, the automatic updating is occurring.
The problem with this is that I want to do what I want to do, not what the computer
wants to do.

I realize that this maintenance is necessary ( or isn't really because these computer
systems are poorly designed), but the interruptions are inconvenient and annoying.
Another thing that annoys me is that these "advances" aren't really improvements after
all.  If they cause you to lose time attending to inadvertent actions, like "butt
dialing", then they really don't save time.  ( Butt dialing happens when you touch
the screen of your phone, and it initiates a call.  You could be sitting on the phone
when this happens.)

I guess it comes down to who really owns this computer, me or the "system"?
Before I started this rant against computers, I had some thoughts about the political
situation.  Seems like the computer rant distracted me from those thoughts.  See what
I mean?

The thought was about how to get the political situation turned around.  Who will
organize this turnaround?  Perhaps you don't have to invent anything, just look around
and see what is being done already.

Several years ago, I participated in an activist system called Grassfire.  So, I googled
it up, to see if they are still in business.  Yes, they are.  So, I bookmarked it, and
will link to it in the future.

There was another outfit that I dallied around with.  These people George W. Bush called
vigilantes.  They watched the border.

Those two could provide a start, but there are others.

The trouble with Grassfire is that it is for profit, or at least what I suspect.
They ask for money, and when that happens, you know it is about money.  Don't like that,
because you have to motivated by some other means than money.

We cannot buy our way out of this mess.

Grassfire is better than nothing, I suppose, but that is not saying much.

It is okay to have pet peeves, but do something about it.  Maybe something can be done
about the scandalous computer industry.  Yes, it is scandalous.  But almost everything
is scandalous these days.

Media

The media is garbage, let's face it.  The idea with the media is not to keep you
informed, but to make money.  If making money means that you will be uninformed, then
that is what you will be.  There are no altruistic motivations governing the media.

When they claim otherwise, look out.

No comments: