Thursday, June 23, 2016

So much to do, so little time

In my own situation, that may seem like an excuse.  Come to think of it, it is an excuse.  But what to say when you think you've said enough?  It gets hard to come up with new ways of saying the same thing.  It is easy to just give up and say "I have done all I can".

We are in an election season.  It tends to focus most of the people's minds upon that decision which is to be made.  It has to be made and it will be made.  There will be an outcome.  Almost half of the people participating will not like that outcome.  It is the same thing every four years.

There are already millions who didn't like the outcome of the primaries.  The numbers just get bigger and bigger, do they not?  So, what happens if you are one of the unhappy ones?  Seems like more and more people do not want to accept the outcome of an election.  Same with me.  It has been nearly eight years, and I still haven't gotten over the election of Barak Hussein Obama.

Yet, I accepted the outcome even though I didn't like it.  It is not as if I were trying to overthrow the outcome of the previous two elections.  I didn't like the GOP nominees either, but I voted for them in the general.  In other words, I didn't act like these anti-Trumpers are acting.  They oppose Trump more than they opposed Obama or Hillary.  They do more to stop Trump than they ever did to stop Obama.  So, the question I have is this: what is the point of these elections if a sizable minority refuses to accept the outcome, when such an outcome is adverse to their preferences?

The anti-Trumpers can be claim to be many things, but they cannot claim with a straight face that they honor the democratic process.  For if they did, they would have to accept Trump even though he is not their preferred candidate.  If they cannot support Trump, then don't support him.  But to overthrow his nomination is not honoring the process that produced his victory.  He did win, you know.

Trump cannot unite them if they are in a "never" mode.  They cannot blame others for dissension if they take an uncompromising attitude.  It seems to me that Trump is being reasonable, but not these people.

If they are taking a negotiating stance, then there has to be a deal that can be made with them.  If no deal can be made, it could only be because they refuse to make one.

If they were as principled as they claim, the only principle that I can observe is "rule or ruin".  They can bring down the house, and will bring down the house if they don't get their way.

It would be interesting to see if Trump can make a deal with these people.  But I have to wonder if they should be the ones who should get dumped.  If they bring down the house, then they are going down too.  Perhaps that doesn't matter to them.  Maybe it should.  There will be an aftermath, and a reckoning if such were to happen.  If they think that forcing Trump to lose big, and afterwards they can reclaim their former positions within the party, they may want to reconsider.  Just speaking for myself, I would never forgive them for it if they do what they are threatening to do.  My hunch is that millions would feel the same way.  If they bring down the house, they will perish as well.  One has to question such a mindset that would pursue such a Quixotic strategy.

Or perhaps it is a bluff?  Maybe they would like a VP spot?  Dick Morris suggests Condoleeza Rice. That might satisfy them, but it may have a downside to it.  A VP has to be selected though.  The party has to be united, somehow.  But at what price?

I am thinking these things while I have other things going on.  But I have time this morning, so there it is. 

It would be a unifying gesture.  If they didn't shut up after something like this, then it should be all out war on these jerks.


No comments: