Friday, November 8, 2013

Why only 8 horsepower can achieve highway speeds

That post about the Urbee may raise some eyebrows.  He has a 8 hp internal combustion engine.  How in the world can something that small achieve highway speeds?

It takes only about 20 hp to keep a much heavier car at highway speeds.  That heavier car wasn't built to be as aerodynamic as the Urbee.  It's all a matter of physics.  You don't need that much energy to cruise, just need it to accelerate.  The energy needed for cruising is kept down by the reduction in friction and weight.  It's a big drop from 20 hp to 8, but it is also a big drop in weight and drag.

He will need more horses to accelerate, but he can combine the two engines (it is a hybrid) for that.  With the lighter weight of the vehicle, he won't need as many horses to get up to speed, nor many horses to keep that speed.

So, I believe Kor's claims.

He has a Kickstarter campaign in effect.  I put that on the sidebar to express my support.  He has a modest goal, but frankly, he should be getting much more support than this, and the goals should be much bigger.

Update:

I'm in.  I will back this project.  This reminds me, I backed the Thorium thing that McDowell did too.  He didn't finish the project, it appears.  But there is this website with all the videos he has made.  I recommend this one.

Update:

I had to create a new account for Kickstarter.  Or I thought I did.  Anyway, I have backed 3 other campaigns, and this is number 4.  Here's the backer page for the Thorium remix.

edited to include the backed projects


No comments: