Sunday, October 27, 2013

Free form post

It looks like I'm not doing anything, but au contraire mon frere.

I don't see anything that would seem worthy of writing about, that's all.

So, I'll just write about what pops into my head.

Earlier today, I was listening to a song by Grand Funk, called I Come Tumblin'.  It occurred to me that Farner had an guitar idea there that he couldn't quite pull off.  If that's true, I know the feeling.  That's to say, I have these ideas that are in my head, but they don't quite make it to my writing.  I tried playing guitar when I was younger.  Same thing as with my writing now.  Anyway, the guitar playing just misses being great, in my opinion.  He just quite can't pull it off.

Moving along on another subject, I was going to post something about the Battle of the Alamo, but changed my mind.  It's one of those subjects that people don't care that much about, but it interests me.  What really happened at the Alamo?  There's the legend, then there's the truth.  The legend is more interesting, so that's what people flock to.  People prefer the fairy tales.  I don't think I'll put the link up because of that.  If anyone is interested in the truth, they can find it.

On another subject, there was a discussion somewhere about the robots taking over, so to speak.  Look, if you carry that to its conclusion, there will be just a few people who will be catered to by an army of robots.  The rest of the population will die off.  Is that the kind of world they want?  Maybe it might suit some people out there.  Why can't we have a world in which technology serves all of us instead of only a few?

While on the subject of technology, there always seems to be some great stuff that's about to be invented, but then you don't hear about it anymore.  There's one thing I'm going to keep looking out for and that's graphene.  That is a miracle substance, right there.  If someone can make that stuff in bulk and at a reasonable cost, it will enable some really fantastic stuff.  Try to imagine a car made out of graphene.  The car will weigh hardly nothing, but its body parts will be stronger than steel.  For example, a 4 kg cat can be supported by graphene that weighs less than one of its whiskers.  It is 100 times stronger than steel.  The applications for this stuff would be mind boggling.  Like a car that can be electric powered because it take a lot less energy to move a lot less mass.

If human nature was as good as our technology, we'd all be wearing halos and wings.  If people don't wipe themselves out first, the future might be pretty good.

I came across something that says pretty much what I've been saying.  There's no limits to growth.  But then the article went off on a completely different path than what I usually use.  Just goes to show you that there's more than one way to skin a cat.  The "cat" is a metaphor for an argument, in case you didn't catch the meaning.  Of course, if you have to explain...

I guess I'll wrap it up this way--- what kind of future we have is largely dependent upon ourselves.  But that has always been true, hasn't it?


No comments: