Wednesday, February 1, 2012

On Romney's victory in Florida

It looks like an anti Newt vote. If Newt were to drop out now, and endorse Santorum, there still may be a chance to stop Romney. But not a good one. The unfortunate thing about this is the large margin of victory. It should be clear though that Newt has been rejected. He can't continue with any credibility. If it was close, he might have, but after this, forget about it.

That's number one. As for Romney himself, my opinion does not change. As far as I'm concerned, this was the worst possible outcome. It reminds me of my reaction to Obama. That one bugged me so much that I still can't believe the guy got elected. Same thing with Romney.

In another sense, it doesn't surprise me. I don't get people. Never have, and perhaps never will. It could explains a lot of things, like why this blog isn't popular. From my point of view, this blog ought to be very popular. But it isn't. Kinda like Newt. I'm used to it though, but I don't know how Newt will take it.



Update:

This speech sounds like Gingrich won the primary. He is not going to quit.
His supporters are not deterred. After getting beat this badly, Romneybots must have stared at this speech with disbelief.

This must have been what it seemed like when Neville Chamberlain came back from Munich and promised peace, but actually had delivered war. Winston Churchill did not fall into line with the majority, who tragiclly believed Chamberlain. The point is that he may be able to bounce back. But something has to happen in the meantime.

1 comment:

al fin said...

This may be one of those times when practical men compare the likely candidate (Romney) with the real election alternative (Obama), rather than with their ideal candidate -- who would likely have not a snowball's chance in hell of being elected in a national election of Idiocratic voters.

The US voting public has an average IQ below 100, with an attention span of 30 seconds or less. The US government is a malignantly growing monstrosity which no one person can control.

Gingrich, in my opinion, is something of a flake, and not presidential material in any way, given the reality of the office and the magnitude of the challenge.

Romney's wishy-washy RINO attitudes can be frustrating, but Gingrich was all-in with Pelosi on global warming, for goodness sakes!

Gingrich is an intellectual, not a practical man of action. He would be eaten alive by the office, while doing incredible damage to the constitutional structure out of his own personal hubris. (Have you ever read Paul Johnson's "Intellectuals"? If not, you should, to help gauge the damage from intellectuals in a practical world.)

I hope I am not being too undiplomatic, but it is only in the last few weeks that my frustration and anger toward Gingrich have grown to explosive proportions. ;-)