Sunday, April 25, 2021

Off-grid 4-25-21

 



Not much to write about here. Lately, I've been collecting rainwater and filtering it. It seems that this part of the project is working out pretty well.

I'd like to get this thing to filter a bit faster, so I devised a weight to sink into the water in order to push the level higher. If the water level is near the top, it will filter a lot faster than if it has to climb against gravity, and then back down again to drip into the collecting vessel.

If it were like a float system that the old carburetors used, that would be great. But I don't want to buy one. The float system would rise with the water level. This could seal a valve and shut off water flow, and when the level fell, it would open the valve again.

This system would have to rigged so that it kept the level as full as possible at all times.

The more automatic the system is, the easier this would be. It is pretty labor intensive when you have to tend to it all the time.

With regards to other topics, such as raising food, there isn't much else to write. There's plenty of good sources of info, but as of yet, I haven't grown a thing--except weeds maybe.

With respect to building something out there, the plans are pretty much finalized. That too is in something of a holding pattern for now.

One thing I should be more concerned about is auto repair. I don't fix my own vehicle, and haven't put a wrench to a vehicle in over 20 years. Anything that happens out there, and there's nobody but me to fix it.

I'm slipping up on that one.





No comments: