Wednesday, October 2, 2013

After a bit of research, a conclusion

I've spent the better part of this day researching the effects of ObamaCare in my own situation.  As someone in the working class, I think I can give a verdict on this thing.

  1. It is probably too costly for the government, but for the individual, maybe not too bad
  2. It is too complex while simplicity would have been preferred
  3. On an ideological level, it favors Democrats as it will create a new constituency for them
  4. On an ideological level, it harms the GOP because it causes their potential constituency to drop in number ( see above)
  5. Personally, I don't like being dependent upon the government.  However, my feeling at the moment is if I have to sign up, I probably will
  6. If the GOP wants to win these types of arguments, they'd first better win the shut down fight.  If they lose this, its game over for them.  I'm not sure all of them understand it that way at the moment.
  7. As for winning the argument later on, they'd better find an alternative that's better than what the Democrats have cooked up.  Because the way it looks, it may become a popular program that will force big tax increases later on in order to pay for all this largesse.
The verdict is probably more thumbs up than down personally, more thumbs down than up for the future of the country.

I'm thinking a good system for an individual and for the country would be one that is simple and affordable.  This is neither.  It buys off the individual for their votes at the polls and gives the country a program that will cause great headaches in the future.

Update:

Another thought.  You really don't know how it will work out until you go through the process.  From where I'm standing now, it looks like a wash.  But in actual practice, it may be anything but.  Too many uncertainties and questions.  See #2 on the list above.


No comments: