Thursday, July 19, 2012

On churches, revisited

It's probably fair to say that it's not the majority that likes to be preached at.  That's what turned me off to Christianity long, long ago.  I remember the old-fashioned preacher giving that fire and brimstone sermon.  In reaction to that, I think that is what probably made me declare myself an atheist by the time I was a teenager.  I was corrected on that at that time, I was really an agnostic, or so I was told by a teacher.

Later on, I found some validity to Christianity.  I even imagined myself to be quite religious.  But that was kinda typical of me to exaggerate.  I learned from that too, so I try to avoid exaggerations- if I can.  The point is this: if the message is given softer, you may be more persuasive.  Pounding your fist in someone's skull may get your point home, but not the one you may have intended.  As soon as your back is turned, you may find that you may as well as saved yourself the trouble.  For example, if someone said to me that nobody is perfect and needs to be forgiven, I would have accepted that.  After all, that's basically what Jesus was saying.

I just bought the Kindle version of the book I mentioned in the previous post.  Before I did, I read some reviews on Amazon.  Some of those people were reacting the same way I did when I was a kid.  Well, I may be forewarned about the book.  However, forewarned is forearmed as it has been said.  Anyway, I am bringing to the table a bit of skepticism which I learned from the school of hard knocks.  Maybe the book is good, or maybe not.  I saw something I liked, so I will read it.  We'll see.

If there's anything else about what he says that I like, I'll be sure to post on it.

No comments: