Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wikipedia blackout

Just looked something up on Wikipedia, which showed it for a moment, then blacked out.  Wikikpedia is blacking out itself in protest to the SOPA legislation being considered by Congress.

It was my understanding that SOPA has been effectively stalled, so the necessity of this appears questionable.  It is inconvenient, but I'll soldier on without Wikipedia for the duration of this protest.

If SOPA is enacted, it may have unpredictable consequences.  I am against SOPA.  I think I've already contacted my representative.  But I won't black out this blog today.

In a related matter, Romney said that he supported the recent defense authorization act, which enables the government to hold US citizens without due process.  It just seems that this government is moving increasingly towards totalitarianism.  If Romney is the nominee, that guarantees that this law will continue.  This will happen regardless of the outcome of the election despite the fact that most people seem to be against it, if the booing of Romney during the most recent debate was any indication.

It is odd how unpopular laws continue to be enacted against the will of the public, as elections don't seem to matter anymore.  The politicians seem to be circling the wagons around themselves, and the public be damned.

No comments: