Friday, January 14, 2011

Toot your own horn, but softly

I've heard that advice before.  You want to be confident, but not arrogant.  Arrogance isn't attractive.  Yet, some people are attracted to arrogance, mistaking it for confidence.  One of my old bosses had something to say about the difference which has stuck with me all these years.  He said that there's a fine line between confidence and arrogance.  But he didn't say what that was.  It was up to me to figure it out.  Well, have I figured it out?  I'd like to think so.  The difference between arrogance and confidence is respect for the other guy.  It's okay to respect yourself, but you don't have to disrespect the other guy in the process.  That is the difference.

With that, I will toot my own horn.  I announce that I have received a couple of certificates from Folding at home site for my donations to their project.  The link to folding at home is on my sidebar, if you are interested.  The idea is to use the idle time of your cpu to for distributed processing.  It is being employed to help fight cancer.  If you want to help, check out the link on the sidebar.   While you are at it, give me a click or two on the ads here.  If I get some clicks from you, I can continue helping these other guys.  Maybe they'll come up with a cure.

No comments: