Sunday, July 9, 2023

Old music v new music

 



If you watch a lot of videos on YouTube, you might notice that many of the comments say that the older music is better than the newer music. Having seen that comment so many times, and seeing this video up by Rick Beato, I decided to put this video up on a post.

He looks a little un-well here. It was a bit hard to watch. But I stuck it out mostly. The video comes from the heart, I believe, so it is definitely worth watching.

My reaction is that the internet has a dark side. It has ruined a lot, but it has also created a few things. One thing it may have ruined is the music industry. It looks like Beato is trying to save some portion of it. I would buy his stuff, especially when I was young, I would have loved to have his stuff. But I'm too old now.

On the larger side, music is part of the culture, and all of the culture is going to the dogs. It would seem congruent to see what is happening to the music industry.

The trouble is this: once the older generation dies off, there will be no one to teach these things to the young. That's how cultures die off. Just like the way ours is dying off. Beato said something like what John Kutsch said about his audience---they are all gray beards. That's not good.

I don't like to be a downer, so hopefully there's a silver lining to this dark cloud...

So here's the video. Try to watch it to the end.





No comments: