Saturday, September 5, 2020

Off-grid cisterns for water storage

Update:


It would be simpler to use a 275 gallon stackable tank.  These can be had for reasonable prices, and wouldn't be too hard to bury underground.



Update:

To add a little further on this, it is not really for water storage for personal consumption, but it could be.

Not to be posing a riddle here.  The thing that interests me most is that to bury a big tank like that deep enough to be below the freeze line, will also pose an opportunity to use that fact to my advantage.

How?  As a way towards better climate control with a minimum of energy expenditure.  The thing I'd like to avoid is the use of a big generator and all of the logistical problems that that would entail.  If I don't use a lot of electricity to keep the place cool or warm, then that would be a big plus.  It is not in the spirit of being "green", but doing what can be done with what I have at hand.  I don't have a water source, nor an energy source readily available out there.  I have to make do with what is available.

There is a lot of sunshine and there is sufficient acreage and there is the possibility of harvesting rain.  Rain doesn't fall much out there, but when it does, it is in quantities that could support this idea.   That is what I am thinking of working with because that is what is available.

How to implement it?  Well, that the old $64k question, now isn't it?  Money isn't readily available, and this will cost some money.  But time could work to solve that issue.  We'll see.



The original post below:

Fascinating, said Spock.

This may work well with my plans, except it ain't cheap.



No comments: