Monday, February 11, 2013

Reading about big ideas

Big words like Zeitgeist, Modernism, Postmodernism, and Contructivism.

Yep, it makes my head hurt.

I've thought about these concepts before, but without knowing exactly what they mean.  I've come across some of them on Dr Sanity's blog, but the ideas seem to fade out of my consciousness.  I think I'd just as soon forget about this stuff, but it is very real, unfortunately.

How do I fit into the Zeitgeist?  I think my main problem here is that I don't.  I'm looking at it from a distance and critically.  Not that this is going to make any difference in anything.  What I mean by that is the seemingly indifferent attitude people have towards their own civilization and history.  Plus an indifferent attitude towards doing anything about our problems.  This is a phenomenon which I have noted again and again on this blog.  There's nothing that can be done about this.  The spirit of the times, or Zeitgeist, forbids any real solutions to real problems.  It is all a matter of pretend and fantasy.  Postmodernism posits that there is no absolute truth.

It should not be any surprise then, that the civilization is breaking under the force of reality that it can't or won't face.

Western Civilization is turning into a madhouse.  Sorry to be so negative, but what other explanations could there be?  Am I wrong, or is it this society?  I'm here to tell ya, it ain't me.


No comments: