Saturday, September 15, 2012

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

That's what it's all about.  Freedom of speech.  It doesn't mean anything if your speech agrees with everything I believe, it matters most when you say something that isn't popular nor agreeable, and you are allowed to say it.

It's easy to have freedom of speech when everybody agrees.  If I am not mistaken, this notion is included in some Supreme Court opinions.  I'd say that's is a good thing.

I get the impression that people really don't understand what the First Amendment actually means.  Or they could care less.  Agree with me, or I'll punch you in the nose, or cut your throat.  That's the attitude.  But it is not in agreement with the Bill of Rights, don't you see.


No comments: