Monday, March 7, 2022

Off-grid post, 3-7-22



Note: I know this looks like I'm ignoring the war in Ukraine, but I'm not. I won't post very much on it because I don't think the information is reliable. Unfortunately, there are a lot of instances where this is true these days. The information out there may not be accurate, so I don't think I should add anything further to it. My information isn't any better than what everybody else is getting.

With all that said, I now turn to my solar panel project that doesn't have a solar panel. Since this battery unit was supposed to be the backbone of a multi-unit arrangement, I have been forced to make a change in plans. So this battery unit will go towards powering a few low power things in the place. It won't have a dedicated solar panel to it. I think it will be charged using the solar panels once I get them hooked up to the big project that I will do after this one.

Today, I started with the BMS install. I've got the balance leads connected, but I am not 100% sure that this is correct. The full install is not done yet. There are a couple more connections that I have to connect up, and I don't get these either. Besides that, I'm not sure that this will require some startup procedure. So I am studying all that before I do much else. If I don't get this right, the BMS won't work. There is also the risk of doing it wrong and frying up the BMS so that it no longer useful. So I am trying to make sure as I can that I've got it all right.

Once the BMS is hooked up properly ( I hope), I will get a few more items ordered up to complete the project. This one will have a reducer to change the voltage from 24 volts to 12. That's so I can use the 12 volt inverter that I have. It is a pretty good inverter, but it doesn't get much use because my 12 volt system is way underpowered. The current system will not need an inverter anyway. It will be dedicated to keeping the 12 volt system charged up.

There will need to be a way to charge up the battery, so I'll get a 24 volt charger to hook up to the 24 volt battery. Once the big system is in place, I can charge it off the solar panels indirectly through another inverter, which I will have to purchase. The big inverter will go with the big solar panel system that I envision. Before then, the little 24 volt system will get charged off the grid.

I'll use the little system to power some stuff in the living room. Maybe charge some batteries and run a few things in here. Stuff like air conditioners and refrigerators use a lot of power, and this one won't be able to run those.

So that's the plan, unless something else changes that forces another change in plans.

No comments: