Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Off-grid post, 3-9-22



It seems like this is my way right now. As opposed to commentary upon current events. There is little that you can do about what's happening, except to bitch. I like to engage in more productive pursuits, thank you very much.

So, I did my BMS work on the solar panel system ( without a solar panel). Then, I placed the order for the rest of the stuff I need to test and use the battery henceforth. It isn't the whole ballgame, as I need to vastly upgrade from here. An obvious thing is to get some solar panels. But this one won't have that, as mentioned prior.

In the meantime, while waiting for the next materials to arrive, I can do some advance planning on THE BIG ONE. That one will be for keepsies, as the first two were practice runs. I'm looking at potentially a greater than 10 kwh system. But one slightly smaller than that could also be adequate. There has been no decision on that, and there doesn't have to be one anytime soon. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to proceed, but there was one sticking point that I seemed to have resolved today. So at least in theory, I can proceed when ready.

I won't be ready until I am satisfied with what I've got now. That is going to have to be the sticking point on going BIG. The little jobbie is going to have to work properly, or I figure I haven't graduated yet to bigger things.

The big system will need a place to mount the panels. I don't want to put them on the ground. Get them up in the air so that they'll have plenty of sunshine. That means a minor construction project. I like minor, as opposed to major construction projects. Me and construction projects don't necessarily get along well. Maybe I can build something about as complex as a doghouse, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. This won't be any more complex than that, and should be quite a bit less.

There needs to be a place for the other equipment, which will be necessary. There is a place that might work out okay. There will be a battery and a combiner box located outside. The place I have in mind should be out of the rain and sun. That is needed because lithium batteries don't like getting hot. Getting wet is probably not good either.

An inverter will be inside. Wires will go through the window opening where the window a/c unit is mounted. I can drill a small hole in the wood so the wires can pass through. Yep, that don't sound too hard. The inverter I am looking at has a remote control. If I want to shut off power from the battery, that will be easy. Shutting off power from the panels can be accomplished through breakers on the combiner box. A fuse near the battery would be helpful.

I've got a charge controller in mind, which will handle the amount of current coming off the combiner box. From there, the wires can go to the inverter. That much of the details have been worked out. There may be others. But mostly it means get to work. As mentioned, there is one little thing holding up the show, and when that is taken care of, then it is a go. ( I think)

No comments: