Friday, January 6, 2023

Off-grid post, 1-6-23



Just now had a brainstorm, which hasn't been concept-tested yet. I've been running my ideas by an older brother, who built houses in his day. He knows where the bad ideas are, and he can give some advice.

So this one is a doozy. It could be an easy build, relatively speaking. I like easy. I don't like difficult.

The thing is that I'd like a basement. A basement can do a lot to minimize power use. When it gets really hot, a basement will be cooler than above ground. Also, when really cold, it can be warmer. So it should reduce the power needs of the build once it gets occupied.

Another thing I'd like is to use those conex type things that I thought about way back in the days when I first started writing about the off-grid project. It is a strong container for shipping, and it can stack pretty high. Trouble is that it doesn't work for a basement, but now I'm thinking of modifying it so that it can work.

So basically, the idea is to dig out a basement, put the conex in it, and fortify it so that it won't cave in. Then build a ground floor by stacking another one on top.

So, how do I fortify the thing so that it will go underground and not get caved in? Been thinking of some ideas, and one just came up. Put some logs around the conex. Stack the logs all the way from the bottom to the ground level, and then backfill the dirt in. The logs should be strong enough to protect the conex from a cave in. Or so I'm theorizing.

People use these shipping containers for housing. So that is okay. But I don't know about the logs. For one thing, how to get 'em. And also where the drawbacks would be. Getting them in would require some sort of crane that could lay them in.

Anyway, that's the idea. Haven't checked it out yet. So that's next.

No comments: