Sunday, January 1, 2023

Al Fin--- Why choice of fuels will determine if fusion works



Al Fin: Why choice of fuels will determine if fusion works

Will comment upon this one since I've written about the subject lately...

First, take a few minutes, if you need to, to watch the video on Helion's fusion device







Note that Helion uses a very rare substance for fuel, which is Helium 3. Also, that it is reacted with Deuterium. That reaction doesn't produce a neutron, but what prevents the Deuterium from reacting with itself to produce neutrons? Thus, there's no guarantee of aneutronic fusion here. It just does a bit less of it than with other fuels used.

The reaction of protons with Boron-11 will not produce neutrons, but is harder to achieve. This is what Focus Fusion will use for its fuels.

Now that I've commented, I'll segue into an idea that I had in consequence of these developments. Not that I'd try it myself, as this is for the professionals, and I'm definitely not that.

Since the NIF is using lasers for its fusion device, what if you would use lasers for confining ELECTRONS? I recall that Bussard said that electron losses were problematical in his Polywell fusion device. So, what if you were to use the lasers to confine the electrons a bit better? Perhaps a combination of magnetism and lasers could do the trick. There was a "cusp" in the magnetic field that allowed the electron loss. Position a laser in those cusps, and perhaps there wouldn't be any losses.

Electrons have mass, and light pressure from a laser could push the electrons back into the well where they are useful. A lot less laser power would be needed, I would think, since the mass of electrons is so low. Only 1/2000ths of the mass of a proton.

Perhaps the confinement of electrons thusly has been tried before, and has failed. Worth looking into, I'd think. Anyway, it is an idea.

No comments: