Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Off grid post, 1-3-23



Today was kinda satisfying because I did something that pleased me to do. It wasn't that long ago that it got really cold. Prior to this, and when it was in the forecast, I noted something I wanted to try. It was candles for heating in an emergency.

Lots of people lost their power during that cold snap a couple years back. If power is lost in cold weather, without anything to back up, that could be a problem. This seemed to be the most elementary of solutions, and not that expensive nor complicated. Too good to be true, though.

The result was pretty disappointing, as I should have expected as much. A candle doesn't produce much heat. It might work okay in small places, but the living area here was too big for something that small to produce enough heat to do the job that might be needed. You can call that a failure, but that's okay.

It does seem like a pretty neat idea though, because it looks like you can recycle the wax and make new candles out of the old. The only new thing you need is a wick. So I got some wicks, and today, I melted down the candles and made some new ones. A little thing, but very satisfying.

Maybe the simple pleasures are the best.

Beats the hell out of a few things that I could mention, but won't.

No comments: