Friday, July 22, 2022

Energy efficiency



Update:



Interesting what you can learn on these videos. I was considering a portable unit, but thanks to a video I just watched, this isn't very efficient. They cannot be efficient due to their designs. Whereas the window units will take outside air and pump it inside, the portable units do the opposite. This has the unfortunate effect of being less efficient. About 25% less efficient. This wouldn't be a good choice for what I want to do.

The thing that go this all started was the "EcoFlow" portable unit. Those things are really small, and can fit together with a battery unit to be fully portable and self-contained. These would work in camping situations, but these units appeared to be quite expensive. With the additional inefficiency built into portable units, they wouldn't be the economical choice.

Since I'm on the subject, my van's a/c unit wasn't pumping out any air. It is a common problem with Ford Vans and Pickups. The problem is that it is vacuum operated, and the vacuum canister is in the fender. A dealer would charge $1000 or more to replace the defective parts.

A much easier fix is possible by routing through the "doghouse". After studying a number of fix techiques, I followed the one that seemed the easiest, and now my problem is fixed.

There was a temporary fix before this one which I don't recommend. It will work okay, but the fix may damage the control mechanisms. It involves putting a ziptie on the thing so that it cannot close. This will keep the air vents working. Unfortunately, it is easy to damage one of these control mechanisms, and I think that may have happened. I don't know how long 2nd fix will last. The ziptie may have been too roughly applied.

Now I've got cool air for the van, and the info to make a better set up if I try to upgrade my trailer's climate control. Still cogitating on that one.



original post yesterday:



A little research on this matter might have given some better results with the window AC unit bought back in 2017. Hard to believe that this has been five years already.

It seems that there is a metric called EER, which is calculated from the wattage of the AC unit divided into the BTU. If it is 5000 BTU, then an EER of 12 will mean a wattage of a little over 400. That seems very low on the power drain.

The current unit works okay, so another window unit will have to be emplaced elsewhere. Another possibility would be a portable unit. These don't come in 5000 BTU versions though. One with an EER of 12 doesn't seem to be available either. The best ones seem to be around 11 or so. With BTU of 12k or so, that is unacceptably high in the power drain.

It may be noted that no attempt is currently being made to cool down with the swamper. It doesn't work well enough for me now. It is a matter of personal taste. I like the cooler air.

An AC in the living area is a definite possibility, but I am balking at putting it in the window. A replacement of the other one is also a possibility, but I don't like that idea either.

Low energy a/c units are not new to me. The concept that is new is the EER rating. To get the Energy Star designation, it is necessary to be at least 12 on the EER rating.

Kinda wish I did this research five years ago. A better choice was available back then, I'm sure.

No comments: