Sunday, November 4, 2018

About those economic numbers...

There is a lot of hype about the economy right now.  How much hype?

The unemployment rate is at a 50 year low, but the participation rate is still in the doldrums.  Some say because of the aging baby boom generation.

There is a positive in the growth of wages, but that is also depressed.  It hasn't returned to the levels of the dot com boom.

The stock market is quite volatile right now, and a reading of Shadow Stats suggests that Federal Reserve policy has something to do with it.  If so, it is not showing up in the interest rates.  In fact, interest rates are not inverted, so there probably is not going to be a recession. 

Cross your fingers on that one.

Things are going well, but there is a bit of hype out there.  Just one more thing to go into the mix as far as the economy is concerned.

One more thing:  I'll add my own experiences, for what that is worth.

The ACA is in its enrollment period, and I note that the subsidies are increasing considerably.  This was unexpected for yours truly.  In each of the last several years, my premiums have been going up.  This year, they will be going DOWN.  Imagine that.

With all the talk about pre-existing conditions, I find it odd that my own situation seems to be improving with respect to the ACA ( aka Obamacare ).  I have a cancer, so that is what you would call a great big pre-existing condition.  Even though I have this condition, I am not suffering financially because of it.  I have to call bravo sierra on that claim.


No comments: