Friday, February 4, 2022

Cold weather



Seems like the cold weather has outsized effects on things around here. It isn't as bad as last year, but it did slow things down. Traffic on the roads came to a stand still yesterday. With the sunshine, the ice is melting, and the roads are getting busier.

The effects on me involved no blogging until now. If there's one thing I don't like, it is cold weather. Good thing I'm not from up north. But it does get pretty hot in these parts, so I guess I won't like that either when that starts happening.

One thing it does do is slow down the bugs. There's more bugs than you can shake a stick at around here. Cold weather means no bugs. At least for awhile. It does help control the weeds, but I notice that the weeds are still green out there. Which reminds me, I haven't done enough with my foraging techniques. You may be able to eat some weeds, but around here, there doesn't seem to be many that you CAN eat.

Last week I noticed some mequite type bushes out in the back. The thinking is that they are mequites because they have thorns. One thing I didn't know about the thorns is that they are really bad news. Particulary so if you get one stuck under the skin. You have to get it out, or you could be in trouble.

Mesquite has a type of bean pod that is edible. I noted no bean pods on the ground, but the cattle around here may have scarfed them up. Cattle like those bean pods. They are supposed to be quite sweet. I'm in no hurry to find that out, as this is a type of survival sceanrio prep, and I don't envision eating many mesquite pods unless there's nothing else to eat. Know what I mean, Vern?

Not too long before identifying some mesquites, I id'd some oaks. Oaks produce acorns, and those can be eaten. But you have to prepare them properly first. There wasn't much problem in finding oaks in Houston because there are more squirrels there than can be counted. Not just referring to the two-legged kind, either.

While inside so much these past few days, I've been watching a lot of videos. Since things are not in the best shape these days, it took kinda of a religious aspect. A question came to mind as to the "next day" stories after the resurrection. Not those that are in the gospel, but those that may have been told, but aren't widely known. Like, what happened to Pilate? What happened to some of the other people in that story? I know that the stories are out there, and maybe some day I will look into them; yet I know that I will probably not get around to it. Being curious, one of these days, I might.

No comments: