If you're going to do it yourself, why not go whole-hog? Indeed, there was a change in plans back then, as I went with the quonset idea. It was attempted, with not great results.
Having attempted the quonset, would I try it again someday? Let's answer it this way: If I went out there again, I just might do it that way with the lessons learned from the first time.
The quonset idea seemed to be cheaper at the time, but there were some downsides discovered, as events unfolded. Solutions for those downsides would need to be found.
I haven't thought about it all that much recently. Once I got a travel trailer, the idea became to take it out there. But that went away, as I had to dispose of the trailer. Getting another trailer would cost too much.
I still have the 5x8 foot trailer. There were thoughts of using that one at one time as well. It would need some work. It has been outside in the elements for the last several years, and looks like it.
But not real thought has gone into it lately. The off-grid project is in deep limbo.
Link to storage shed on sale in Houston at a Home Depot.
This may be modifiable to be turned in living quarters. This is actually quite interesting proposition. Watch the video supplied at the site.
It is 8 by 12, which is nearly 100 sq ft. Some of these micro houses are about the same size. The price is affordable. Yep, I just may be able to use this thing. It's designed to be a do-it-yourself assembly project.
The downside is that I may need help in putting it together.
This will be incorporated into the going off-the-grid series, along with a companion post here.
Update on 8/17/14:
Other companion posts
- Power requirements could be made with a Solar City Installation or Build your own system
- You may want to dig some post holes in order to anchor the "RV"/Storage Shed.
- Sewage systems would be a composting toilet and recycling of grey water. Idea: water the grass driveway with the grey water system.
Prev Next.
No comments:
Post a Comment