Friday, October 8, 2021

Foraging book



The book was presented as a resource that could help you identify foods that grow all around us. Maybe so, but after spending a few hours with it, I am a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of entries to sift through to get to even ONE that I can use.

It may have been wishful thinking, but I was hoping for something that may well be non-existent. If you want to eat when the SHTF, you are going to have to prepare and prepare HARD.

This won't be easy nor fast. It may take awhile to find things. There is some wild game around here that might do in an emergency, but you have to eat some veggies too. Can't eat meat all the time.

Eventually I may want to be able to transfer that skill to parts out west if I make it out there. Yep, it is now an "if", not a "when". It is there "if" or "when" I need it, but not right now.

The book is over 300 pages long, so there's plenty of material to look at. Unfortunately, it isn't for this area exclusively. It is for the whole of North America, which is a pretty big place. Yikes.

There are other sources, but I chose this one. Argh.







Update:10.9.21

The good news and the bad news was covered initially. It gets better as you get familiar with it. There's another book I've had since 2014 on my Kindle which is similar. Correlating the two may save some time. There is yet another book on Kindle, which I haven't looked at lately. Enough material here to get a decent education, or at least I hope as much.

It's not a book that you just sit down and read. It will require some field work. Little use for it otherwise. Consequently, it may be worked in as part of a larger strategy. Might be a good idea to keep my eyes peeled for any of these plants.

The more things that can be found that are edible the better. You never know when the SHTF.



Update: 10.10.21



Guide to Wild Foods

With respect to the source of this post, it is linked directly above. I got this from an ad, so be forewarned that it is there to sell you something. Yes, I did buy it, and I've looked over the material. I cannot endorse it as of yet, but it does appear to be quite comprehensive. As a further bonus, it does have plants that have MEDICINAL attributes. If the SHTF, you may need access to medicines, but there may not be any available.

A disaster could be of natural origin, such as the Carrington Event, which missed the Earth by only 9 days in 2012.

If such an event as that had occurred, the disaster could have ruinous and possibly catastrophic. Therefore, to be prepared for an event occurring is not fear mongering. There's too much of that already, and I don't wish to add to it. Only mention it to prepare yourself if at all feasible.

It is not only true with respect to natural events, but also man-made ones. The situation in the world is precarious, but it has always been so more or less. It looks like it is the former more than the latter these days, but that seems always the be the case.

Do your own diligence with respect to what is presented out there, including this source. By all means, do get busy.

No comments: