Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Ideas for space that I like

4.18.23: Last updated on Jan 24, 2014 The Safe 400 reactor has been upgraded to the kilo power system. Here is a list of ideas for space travel that I've written about on this blog and that I like.  This list may change over time as I learn more.  The list is in no particular order.

  • Airship to Orbit  ----  Why I like it.  Even if it doesn't work, it can help reach orbit provided that it can be made to carry sufficient mass at sufficient velocity.  What I like most is the attention to mass.  The mass of this method should be the least amongst all methods of getting to space.  Looks like it would definitely work on Mars ( that's a big deal ).
  • Space sailing  ---  Why I like it:  Once again, here is a method of space travel that requires little if any reaction mass.
  • Focus Fusion ( as space drive )  Why I like it:  Very high ISP.  Could enable exploration and settlement of the entire solar system.  Perhaps may even be useful for travel to nearest stars.
  • Beamed power for propulsion  Why I like it   If Nuclear Thermal Engines cannot be used to get to orbit, perhaps this method will be acceptable.
  • Nuclear Thermal Engines  Why I like it  Better ISP than chemical rockets.  Radioactivity issue could be handled if a commitment were made to deal with that issue.
  • Safe-400 ( space nuclear reactor ) Why I like it  Good things can come in small packages.  It only weighs about 1100 lbs.  You're going to need power in space, and this little reactor can deliver it.
  • A Moonstalk and a Mars Stalk Why I like it  Will allow access to the surface with no mass penalty.
  • Gas Guns  Why I like it  Will enable delivery of mass from the surface of the Moon or Mars with no mass penalty.  From the Moon, it wouldn't even require heating of the gas.
  • AX-5 Spacesuit  Why I like it  I like the concept of a hard cover on the suit.  It does allow for 95% of normal movement, so it isn't too restrictive.  It probably won't happen this way, but if it could be made livable for a long period of time, it would be a big help.
  • Skylon  Why I like it  SSTO and reuse, what's not to like?
  • Falcon 9  Why I like it  It will be fully reusable and with a fast turnaround, unless something goes wrong.
Honorable mentions  Stratolaunch, Dream Chaser, Virgin Galactic, XCOR.  I sure hope that I haven't forgotten anybody.

These are all I can remember for now.  If I can think of any others, I will add them to the list.

Update: Last of a series done in reverse chronological order.  The reason for doing it this way was that the reasoning for what I claim to be true isn't necessarily easily found on the blog.  It so happens that it was chronological this time, but it won't necessarily be that way in the future.  The blog format doesn't easily allow for this.  This way, you can see how the reasoning is built up over a series of posts.  To see even deeper, use the category-sub category listings at the bottom of each post.

The previous post in the series is here.


No comments: