Thursday, September 1, 2022

Gab social site and Doug Mastriano



Hit piece on Doug Mastriano

Gab probably isn't a household word, so if anybody hears anything about it, they may not have any first hand experience with it. As for Doug Mastriano, he is running for office in Pennsylvania. (probably governor) The link is described as a hit piece by a website that I visit regularly. It might be called "right-wing". The piece describes Gab as "right-wing". This is the very thing that I've been hammering on forever, it seems.

It has gotten to the point that whenever some website calls anybody "right-wing", they jump the shark with me. Any use of that Marxist terminology should be verboten for anybody who claims to be objective and honest.

I did sign up for Gab once upon a time, but I've never used it. What I've heard about them is that they don't block anybody. The trouble with blocking somebody for something is that it can lead to wholesale political censorship. This is currently being done with Big Tech, and Gab is the alternative to Big Tech. Does merely doing this kind of thing make them "right-wing"? Actually, according to law, ALL social media platforms should be like Gab. The fact that they are not, and they block people should raise more than a few antenna out there.

I'd like to think that people are astute enough not to fall so easily for this kind of political bias, but I am quite sure that more than a few actually do fall for it.

Is Gab really "anti-Semitic"? That's what the linked article above is trying to accuse Gab of. They are also trying to link Mastriano to anti-Semitic violence. That is the kind of thing that raises my antenna more than a bit. The media is not going to be in any way fair and balanced on these subjects.

But, I suppose I could look into it. I already have. The Gab founder is a strongly pro-Christian "nationalist". Er, whenever someone uses a charged word like "nationalist", my antenna goes up again. If he refers to himself as "nationalist", then that's fair game. The same thing as calling yourself as being "on the right". It is short step to being called a fascist, and you can see what they're doing right now. Why would you give them the ammo in which they can attack you?

No comments: