Sunday, August 1, 2021

off-grid post 8-1-21



There isn't really enough to write here to make a post, because nothing much is happening.

Nothing much that is successful, that is. After the first batch of successfully germinating tomato seeds from a tomato, the next batch was a utter zilch-out. No doubt that I did something wrong, so it's off to the next attempt.

The difference was in using potting mix as opposed to using my custom-made soil. Therefore, guess what I'll be using this time? A second problem is that I experimented with a soil-watering technique that moved water okay, but not for germinating the seeds. The problem was with positioning it higher rather than lower. I used paper towels to wick the water to the egg carton where the seeds were. I also used the paper towels to wick the water to the plant that was growing. That one was lower. It got all the water, I suspect. The seeds may have been too dry.

This next attempt will incorporate a self-wicking concept going up, but also going down. One way or another, the water will get there. Also, I made a container that has enriched soil, in addition to mere potting mix, and added some epsom salt for ph balance. Once this thing gets germinated, it should get off to a good start. In addition, I will add miracle grow.

Today is August 1, so the time is moving right along. I've got a little more time left to get something started. Maybe by the end of the growing season, I will have some real success.

That's all for now.



No comments: