Thursday, October 26, 2017

Trailer versus quonset

Prev  Next


This post will go into the Construction sub-series of the off-the-grid main series of posts.  These posts can be accessed from a table of contents and watched individually or in series from beginning to end.


There has been a lot of indecision about what to do next.  In particular, what to do about the trailer.  Keep it, or move it with me to the property out west.

If I keep it, and move it out there, then I must have a roof for it.  A roof big enough would be massive and a bit of a problem to build.  On the other hand, if I build something new out there, I can have a plan that would be easier to implement a roof for it that would keep the sun off it.

The sun is just too darn hot in summer, so it must not be allowed to hit the sides of the building.   The roof can be insulated heavily to prevent too much heat from getting inside.

The new building would be a variation of what I already built once out there--- a Quonset structure.  The difference is that it would have a double roof, and one of those roofs will be a concrete canvas--- if I can get it, and if it is not too expensive.

The Quonset could be modular and not too tall.  I can make it fit my size, so it would be just about tailor made for me.  The current idea is to make it 26 feet by 7 feet wide.  That is about the size of the trailer.  A little smaller than the trailer, actually.   It does not actually have that much smaller of a roof than the trailer would need.  About three fourth's the size.  The main advantage is that it is lower to the ground, so I can work on it easier.

The main advantage to a plan like this is that I believe I can execute it on my own.  Another option is to have number one help me out.  But he is a little indisposed at this time, and also may not be available in the future.  So, I may need a new plan by the time I am ready to build.




No comments: