Thursday, October 12, 2023

Ubuntu

10/12/23: Update on post written on 5/4/21:

It looks like I had the right ideas, but got stuck on Ubuntu. There's a lot of other things to get up to speed on, too. Putting Ubuntu on a stick is way outdated, by the way.

It's quite embarrassing to relate this. This post shows a lot of .... er, ignorance. A sophisticated person would be amused, I'm sure. Here I am talking about stupidity. Well, stupidity is hard to cure. Ignorance just requires some elbow grease.

I think kids are getting this stuff from the crib these days. If you are an older person, you might not be up to speed on all the details. But, it is hard to know all the angles.



end update:



Given the tech tyranny issue, it may be time to give it a try again. It's been more than a month long process in reorganizing my computer situation so that it may be possible to keep my data more secure. Who knows what these tech tyrants are up to? You cannot be too secure.

The new organization will be---er, better organized. Prior organization was haphazard. For now on, all personal data will be in separated locations. It is hoped that this will make it more secure. Perhaps that will not be the case, but it should be in theory. If it ain't plugged in, it ain't gonna be accessible to a hacker.

Ubuntu will take that a step further. The machine itself will be portable. The idea here is to make my OS reside on a usb stick. Online data will only be accesible to Ubuntu while it is plugged in. The data will be compartmentalized. It would be hard, if not impossible, for a hacker to get into stuff. But I wouldn't want to underestimate a knave. There are a lot of them these days.

This made me think of the bigger picture. Computer technology has become so vital that it is indispensible. If this was lost for any reason, I think we'd all be in a lot of trouble.

Know what I mean, Vern?

I've tried Ubuntu before. I've forgotten why I stopped using it. Maybe it was only a curiousity back then, but given the big picture today, I think it may be a necessity now.





No comments: