Tuesday, April 16, 2024

History of the Earth, one second at a time...

...with each second covering about 1 million years of history.

Doing the math, one hour equals 3600 seconds. Multiply that by a million, and get 3.6 billion years. You need about 900 million more years, and that equals 900 seconds of the video.

It makes a boring as hell video. That's because nothing seems to be changing. But it is changing, albeit at a very, very slow rate.

The point of the exercise is to show that our presence upon the Earth is very very recent, and very very short.

How someone may make of this depends upon who you are, I suppose. Most folks won't stick around for long.

I did, because I have lots of time. Plus I am curious enough about it so that I can critique it a bit. It may need some refinements. It is an impossibly complex job as is, so the idea of critiquing may seem unfair and too demanding.

But I'd like to know certain things that aren't being emphatic enough in the narration. One thing to know is the composition of the atmosphere over time. The narrator does do some of this, but it could be more detailed, in my opinion.

Not to be too critical though. Here it is, just in case you have the time and the patience.

Incidentally, the second time thru this video, and I discovered a way to read along with wikpedia. Pause the video, and put the name of the period in the google search box. Wikipedia may be at the top of web pages. You can click on the Wikipedia pages to read along while the video plays.











No comments: