Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Off-grid project update, 12/19/23



Something of a mid-course correction.



There hasn't been many posts on this subject lately. The fact of the matter is that a re-evaluation has been underway for quite a while, and other priorities have pushed their way to the forefront. The off-grid project is still on, but it is more of an aspirational thing than a real thing. Always has been that way, but for awhile there, it was the highest priority. I thought of it as sooner rather than later, and now it may be later rather than sooner. Or perhaps the possibility of not at all. It kinda depends on developments.

The weakness of that plan has always been pretty obvious to everyone but me. Consequently, I was out there on an island, doing my thing. This was okay as long as my health was good, and I could work to pay for my whims. But a few things have happened that brought the reality back, and this thing may turn out to be a bridge too far. Money has always been an issue, and has gotten worse since my disability forced me out of the work place.

The land that I bought is still there. I just haven't gone out there. My concern is that I cannot get the job done alone. So it has become an aspirational project as opposed to a high priority project. My efforts have dwindled, so it might be interpreted to mean that it is a failure, and that I've given up on it. But that is not so. It is merely going to shift into another mode for awhile.

That means that I will keep on doing what I've been doing. That is, to learn how to live off the land as I would have to do if I was actually out there. My approach is to simulate it for the time that I would have to actually go out there and do it. That day may never happen. But if it does, II will be about as prepared as you can get without having actually done it for real. Which means that I still don't know what the hell I am doing, but at least I am pointed in the right direction ( I hope).

If I come across some good fortune, things may change. But if that were to happen, maybe I get rid of the land, and move on to other things.

It's more of a bug out joint than anything else right now. It's not even a good bug out joint yet. Might not ever get to being a bug out joint because to get that far means a lot of work and money. Or there may never been the need, or there may never be the resources. It is something of a conundrum.

I've learned a lot over the years. But this was a difficult project. More difficult than I figured on. Unfortunately, that seems to be a pattern with me.

The biggest success is in water management. I need to get a lot better at energy management. I need to get a lot better at making things. Finally, I need to be able to grow or find my own food. That is the least developed skill. If I had to live off the land in terms of getting food, I would be in trouble. Managing energy really means climate control. That summarizes some of skills, but not all.

To top it all off, there needs to be some security. You are on your own out there. It would be me against the elements. I think I could deal with that, but people are the biggest wild card. You never know what or who you may encounter out there.

So that is where it stands.







PS: If only I had an army like this! This video reminds me of a scene in the movie "Witness"--Starring Harrison Ford. There was a barn raising scene in which they built a barn in one day. ( or appeared to)























No comments: