Friday, May 6, 2022

Spaceflight news



A couple of news items came to my attention, and so I thought I'd pass it along. By the way, the title may not be the best one for this post. It's the best I could come up with on short notice. I'll dash this one off in a few minutes, cuz I'm always busy doing things that don't pay me anything. Like this blog...

Firstly, there's a  Space station concept , in which someone proposes to build as if on an assembly line in space. It involves constructing a torus-shaped structure, which is great, because it can simulate gravity. He believes he can build things FAST, and also a LOT of them. Attach a rocket to it, and you can go places in style. Battlestar Galactica, here we come. If you spin it up between 2 and 3 rpm, it can simulate Earth gravity. How 'bout them apples?

The second item that caught my eye was : Starship 2.0

It's not really news, though. Musk has been talking about this all along. The Starship CAN be scaled up further. Imagine getting a million pounds or more into orbit. You could supply the materials needed to build that humonguous Space Station with an equally humonguous rocket.

Since Musk wants to make many such rockets, then it is possible to supply materials for many such space stations.

Maybe they can build one of these some day:



It is something of a joke to mention the Death Star. But something like that might be feasible.   Maybe.

No comments: