Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Nothing new under the sun



Another way of saying it is to say that history repeats itself. History is repeating itself today, too.

There seems to be instability everywhere. But there's always been instability everywhere. There is nothing new in that. But it seems different this time. It probably is different this time in this place. But it isn't new for this to happen in the world, for it has already happened in the past. This is just the latest iteration of the same old thing.

I've been spending time on the youtube lately. Going through the list of emperors of ancient Rome. What happened there then is happening here now. But I've written that before. I suppose I will write it again after this. Not that it will make any difference. People forget the past only to repeat it. There's nothing new under the sun.

Should I throw my hands up in despair? Nope. Nobody should do that. Maybe the insanity can be stopped this time. But eventually it won't be stopped. Maybe this is the time it won't be stopped.

There will be those who claim that people like me are crazy. And I will say that they are the ones who are crazy. Ten to one, the same damned thing has all happened before somewhere in some place. Maybe people will learn, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. There really is nothing new under the sun. The thing that would really be new is if people really DID learn it this time and really did end the insanity. One could always hope.

Hope doesn't cost anything, but it requires everything to keep it alive. That's because there is always someone or something out there trying to snuff out your little fire.

No comments: