Sunday, June 5, 2011

Yes, Medicare Is Sustainable In Its Current Form

Paul Krugman asks,
What is Medicare? It’s single-payer coverage for the elderly.

My answer is that I don't care what it is, I am against it. Why? Because, in order to get it, I have to give up something I would rather not. "Which is?", you might ask. My answer: "My freedom".

Someone might respond snarkily, "Yes, freedom to die." And I would say, "That's right." Freedom to live, freedom to die in a manner of my own choosing. If someone pays for your health care, or anything else, you become dependent. And when that happens, you must give up something in return. That something that you give up is your freedom. There is no escaping that.

Spare me the arguments to the contrary. A thing is what it is. Once the government starts paying for your stuff, they own you. I want them to stay away from my stuff and my choices. It makes no difference if my choices are bad, there are my choices. I get to make them. Once I give that up, somebody else gets to make them. I don't like that.

No comments: