Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Who's the good guy?

Life is complicated, especially these days. You have to rely upon others to inform you of the news. So, what do you do if you find out that someone isn't reliable? You have to find someone else to listen to. Society is so complicated that you have no choice but to rely on others. You can't chase down every story yourself. You just have to find someone you can trust.

When it comes to news, I expect an objective account. I don't expect the media to cherry pick what they think I should know. I think I can figure out that much for myself. I'd prefer to think for myself. Just give me the facts and I'll judge things for myself.

It's hard to know who to trust anymore. Or what to trust. But you have to trust somebody.

That business about the bodies being found in Liberty County bothers me. The service that the new media provides is information. Here they are presenting something that is completely bogus. But you have no other choice but to believe that what they have is accurate and meaningful. What about the political situation? Should the media be oriented towards reporting what pleases certain politicians? It would seem that if they were doing that, that something is definitely wrong.

You see this over and over these days. Media will ignore one story and hype another. You aren't getting information. You are being manipulated.

Maybe that is what it takes to succeed. But I would rather not go there. Sure, I want an audience. But I think there ought to be lines that don't get crossed. I'm not saying that the media crossed any lines with the dead body story, but there could have been a more careful approach to the story. Why jump all over something just because it looks like it could grab attention? Why not wait and ask a few questions first?

Things are not going well in this country. People need to take a close look in the mirror and ask: "Is there is anything that I can do personally to turn this around?". Because we have to trust each other. We have no choice. Life is too complicated. Things go better if you would just be honest about things.

I judge good and bad by the truth. That is my way. Perhaps others have a different way. If someone tells me something wrong, I don't want to jump to conclusions that they are lying to me. It may be an honest mistake. But I am not so naive to believe that someone could be lying for some reason. When that happens, I know I am not dealing with a good guy. A good guy won't lie to you, especially if his job is to inform you. If you are getting lied to, you need to find someone else to trust.

No comments: