Wednesday, January 19, 2022

People judge you by the words you use



A perusual of the news often gives me ideas for posts. The latest idea came from the term "anti-vaxxer". Hmmm. I've gotten plenty of vaccinations in the past. All of a sudden, since I am opposed to THIS shot, I'm an "anti-vaxxer". See how that works? Or doesn't work.

Maybe people really DON'T judge you by the words you use. Why? Because those in the media that repeat these words mindlessly are still in business. Heck, it is THEIR JOB. They've got just ONE job to do, and they can't get that right. Imagine how long I would have lasted in the delivery business if I kept screwing up like that. Why does the media get a pass?

Okay, people NOT in the media get judged by the words they use. I can buy that. Maybe a little. Maybe narrow even that definition down to this one: if you are in the "out" group, you are going to be judged in any case. But always best to use the best possible words. Maybe the best possible grammar, but I don't do that as well as I should.

I've been on this kick about use of the word "right" in reference to oneself, with respect to the political use of that word. I think it is pretty important. In fact, all uses of the language is important. Best to use the proper terms. You don't call a donkey an elephant. Neither in politics nor in the natural world. But politics can be pretty tricky.

All of this self-correction reminds me of a character on the sixties sit-com called Green Acres. The county agent would do that. He did it so often it was something of a joke. I think it was a joke. Maybe it wasn't a joke.



No comments: