Sunday, October 31, 2021

Guitar theory on youtube



I've been spending a lot of time on youtube lately. Most of the time, I'm looking for stuff I can use. Sometimes it gets into stuff that really isn't practical. That happened today.

From time-to-time I've visited the Rick Beato channel. It just so happens that he has taken on the project of teaching music, as opposed to what he did before. Teaching music is not new for him, he said.

One of the videos promised to cover as much guitar theory as he could in one hour. There was so much stuff that 30 minutes in, I was way, way lost. Shoot, I was lost a lot sooner than that. This confirms that I never really learned much about the guitar. This is true despite the time that I spent on it as a teen.

One moral to that story is that the amount of time spent is in no way a determining factor in how much progress can be made. To get the most out of the time, a personal tutor who could teach what needed to be taught-- or so I would think. As for me, I had just one lesson. The other time was spent just trying to do it all on my own. Not very efficient in terms of time. But you cannot become a good player in just one hour. The practice has to mean something that is going to advance you. How to do that?

The world-wide-web is a resource that I didn't have back in the seventies when I was a teen. What a resource it is. But there's a dark side. That's the stuff of a different subject.

You can get pretty negative, but there is also another side. There is always another side. And I don't have to always be practical, either. A change doesn't have to be bad, but it isn't always a good thing either. It is just one of those things that is what it is. The choices you make are the key. Also, it matters as to what you actually want. How do you know when you are on the right track in what you are doing at the time? It is not always easy to know. Maybe you never really find "it".

No comments: