Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Off-grid post, 6-7-23



It has been awhile, and the pace has slowed down a lot. But it continues.

Most of the success of this project thus far has been in advancing the water mgt skills. If I were to attempt to make it on the desert out there, I would need a good solution for the water situation. It only rains about 10 inches a year, on average. That isn't much, and drilling a well is too expensive. I have to collect rain water.

The last sentence about expenses is quite apt, since all of this is being done on the shoe-stringiest of shoe strings. That was true even before I started, and even more so now. I'm not getting any younger, and I'm not getting any healthier. Not getting richer, either.

Anyway, I've been working on some stuff still, and water is one. It has gotten to the point where I can start replacing well water with rain water collected. I would consider that an advancement in the system.

It rains a lot more here than out in West Texas, so that isn't exactly a big of a deal than it might seem. However, I don't come even close to what I could collect here. A more aggressive system out there MIGHT be enough to supply my needs. But that isn't a guarantee.

A major issue is construction. That seems to be a hard nut to crack. It is hard to build something out there that can stand up, while at the same time, that wouldn't require a lot of investment in equipment and materials. That old money issue, again.

I'd like to build a basement, but that may be a challenge. I got an idea from watching SpaceX construction around the launch table. To keep the sides from caving in during excavation, you can use some metal sheets driven into the ground. Forgot what those things are called.

Otherwise, if that doesn't work, everything has to be a ground level and above. This would require other means to deal with the harsh sun and the wind.

Anyway, that is about the extent of it for now. Not much is happening, and time doesn't stand still nor wait for anyone.

No comments: