Thursday, June 8, 2023

Chipped beef on toast



Here's another break from the poop going on...

I've been experimenting with the cooking lately. There was a dish that the family would eat in the old days. It is a type of gravy, with a lot of meat in it. It is poured over biscuits or toast. Actually, we had a more vulgar name that the one I gave in the title. Something on the shingle, you might say.

This experiment uses pancake mix. I spread it on a tortilla, or on bread. The pancake can cook on the tortilla a bit, because it is so thin. Then I flip it over, and spread the mix, which consists of eggs as well. Eventually, all the mix is on the tortilla or toast. Then spread the gravy mix on top of the thing, which I haven't given a name.

This concoction is quite filling, actually. It isn't particularly fattening, either. Maybe there's a bit more carbs than you'd like, but it isn't extravagant by any means. You might say it is more filling AND it tastes great. Sounds a bit like a certain beer commercial in the past, eh?

I came up with this in order to get more fiber in the diet. The tortillas are the kind with more fiber in them. They are considered "keto". Eggs are keto, too. The gravy isn't, though. If bread is used, it could be the keto variety, or the regular kind. I use either. Keto wasn't available this morning, so I used the regular kind.

This is a versatile method, as the pancake mix and such can be used in other dishes. I plan to make something like a pizza in this fashion. I'll put some pepperoni and plenty of cheese on it. Once it is cooked in the pan, I'll spread the cheese and pepperoni, and put it in the air fryer thingie.

A desert might be possible as well. I've been thinking of a sliced banana and plenty of cool whip on the top of the pancake tortilla thingie. You know, this pancake mix rises a bit. It is nice and thick. After all, it is like a bread, or like a cake. That's where the "pancake" name comes from. Too bad they don't have a keto pancake mix.

If you've got something against egg yolks, then egg whites can substitute for it. The final product doesn't really feature the eggs all that much, but the eggs do make it more cohesive. Runny pancakes may break apart.

I mentioned this dish to Wishbone, and he called me the Galloping Gourmet. Well, I don't know about that. Call me the lazy gourmet. Cleaning up after this is fairly easy. Especially the way I do it. I cook it on top of aluminum foil. Then I don't have to wash up as much. Like I said, lazy gourmet. Maybe chipped beef on "toast" is good enough.

No comments: