Monday, March 28, 2022

Off-grid post, 3-28-22



The power-tote project is just about complete. The only thing left is the "shake-down cruise". As I write this, the swamper is on, and is being powered by the tote. Experiments and measurements shows that this can run for most, if not all of the afternoon. That is, if I pace it, and it doesn't get too hot out. The swamper uses a bit too much power to run all out for a really hot day-if it is powered only by this power-tote.

One upgrade is already on my mind. I want to run an electrical connection from the lead acid battery, which runs the travel trailer's 12 volt system- to the 12 volt inverter. From there, I can run it from the back of the trailer to where the power-tote is, which is also where the 24 volt charger is. Since the 100 watt solar panel keeps the battery charged, the 12 volt battery can keep the 24 volt battery charged. If all that works, I will be solar-powered in fact.

The charger will run that way. However, if I charge with the small battery's current inside, it just gets overwhelmed. The bigger battery outside can handle the current. The small batt can handle the solar panel along with the charge controller. The discharge on the big battery will drain the small battery, and the solar panel will fill in the gap (or so I think.) Don't know how all that will go just yet, but it should be a lot of fun trying.

This project seemed simple in concept. It has been much more than that in practice. But that's because it is the first of its type for me. It has been an education.

Don't know if I'll go big, or stay home. Going big is to go all out on a completely off grid type system that will furnish virtually all my electricity. That will take bucks, which there aren't quite as many of those as I would like. But it is within range, if I am not mistaken. The thing about this little jobbie is that it took more buckos than I figured on.

Just a few details about the set-up. It has a wired remote controller. All I have to do is to push a button to start the swamper. A button push turns it off again. There is a switch on the power tote too, which shuts off current to the inverter. That takes more bodily effort to bend over and flip the switch. (lol) I like convenience as well as comfort.

The swamper blows cool air directly on me from about 5 feet away. Even in really hot weather, that is a welcome relief. I am in a recliner, so it is all comfortable. But you have to watch that humidity. The area needs to be constantly refreshed with dry air. Now a basement type arrangement can get some cooler, dryer air to mix with the humid air from the swamper. That will keep the humidity from getting out of hand.

Last summer, I used a dehumidifier to grab back some of the water. I recycled it back into the swamper. This techique uses a little less water, but a lot more power. But you get mostly clean water in the bargain. Running the swamper on rainwater allows you to get some clean water ( not drinkable!) along with some comfort. A big system will help with the power end. Well, that's all for now.

No comments: