Saturday, December 20, 2014

Off the grid general remarks

Did a short inventory of the stuff I took out there last time.  I left a heavy duty stake out there by mistake, drat it.

I remembered that I lost track of my wooden handles that would be used for a form to make a hole in the concrete that I was laying.  It reminds me of my tendency of being unorganized.

Cleaned up my shovel, which had a lot of caked up concrete on it.  This made me wonder about the quality of my work. Will the concrete be strong, or will it crumble?  Have to make another trip to find out how it came out.

Here it is, at the end of December, and there's only a little over 5 months left in my lease.  If I am to move by then, I'd better get going.  Except I'm not.

If I move sooner, as opposed to later, I have to get rid of a lot of stuff.  I haven't the foggiest notion of what to do with all this stuff I've accumulated.  If my venture fails, I'd have to get a bunch of new stuff, and get rid of the stuff that I am accumulating for da Ranch.  One idea is to build a shed, but I hear that you need two people for that, and that creates a bit of a dilemma.

Looked further into the getting a temporary storage facility.  I'd like to do a dry run assembly of the trailer.  I want to do some fit and finish work before I go out there.  I did not contact one place that seemed interesting, though.  How long of a lease would be required?  Always some pain in the ass type details, like leases.

Gave some further thought about floor plans.  If I keep it as simple as possible, then I would only use what I've already got.  That would be an air mattress on a Murphy bed type set up.  The air mattress is about 30 inches wide, which is a pretty good fit for what I'm trying to do.  I studied for awhile the hinges on the doors in here.  Perhaps you can make it like a door that swings down from the wall and sits on top of a couple legs that fold out.  Clearance for the freezer needs to be over 30 inches.  A little taller than it would be in width.

None of this has been "dry runned" so that I know that it can work.  It's just ideas at this stage.

The Murphy bed setup looks the best because it will allow the most use of all of the limited space inside that little trailer.  You can store stuff underneath the bed, for example.

I will need area for batteries, so the batteries can go under the bed.  There's an advantage to keeping the batteries inside, because if they get cold, they lose effectiveness.  Sealed batteries would be best because there won't be any hydrogen leaks.

The generator will be stored on the tongue of the trailer and it will be outside.  I haven't given enough thought about the batteries, nor the generator.  Power generation will not be cheap.

Then there's the money question.  How to pay for all this?  The current plan is to sell worm castings, but what if they don't sell?  The sales from the worm castings could pay for the land and the equipment that I have to buy.  That, or I can exhaust my savings down to the last penny, which I really don't want to do.  Always best to leave something in reserve.  There's not enough money to buy all this stuff and buy store bought food and not work and not have an income.  That's the bottom line.  I'll have to wait until I get the government cheese, or make the venture pay for itself, which seems like a tall order with a lot of uncertainty.

Time's running out for the move sooner as opposed to later.  But that has always been a long shot, anyhow.


No comments: