Friday, November 28, 2014

Black Friday

Continued from previous post

Did some more looking around in hardware stores, this time at Lowe's.  They had a storage shed there on display that looked very interesting, but the shed wasn't in stock.  Also, a dented freezer, which is about the same size I was looking at before.  Only $99.  Also, portable circular saw, less than a hundred.  They had a good selection of wood on display.  Noted the insulation, may include that in how it is framed together.  Didn't see any wood paneling.

While I was there, I took another look at the 8x8 shed that I actually came to see.  It was interesting to look inside and see how it was put together.  This gave me an idea of what I need to do with my trailer.  Also, it gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect when I put the trailer together.  It will be very, very cramped, as it is very, very small.

Here's a plan to "frame it out".  Put a thick plywood 8x4 down as a floor.  Two two by fours on each side leaves just 4 inches left to reach 5 feet.  To cover that final distance, offset the frame by 2 inches on each side, which should max it out at 5 feet.  The frame out will be 2 x 4's all around.  There will be a wall at the 75 inch mark, which separates the bedroom from the bathroom.  The floor will be raised and will have insulation from the ground.  However, the toilet and the shower will not be insulated.  These will sit on the plywood floor just mentioned.  Plywood will around the four walls.  Plywood may go on the roof as well, but will have a layer of metal roofing for drainage.  How to cover the gaps as on the floor?  Perhaps a little different way.  Three two by fours plus the plywood make 5 feet.

One side will have a door, and the interior will have a door.  I may make the darned door myself because they want so much money for doors.  The outer door will open outward so that it won't bump into anything inside.  Same with the inner door.  Both doors will have to be insulated, as they protect the "inner sanctum" of the bedroom, which I want to keep climate controlled at minimal cost.

Update:

Oops!  Looks like I'm going to have to put a door on the opposite side of the tongue because of the railing.  That means it's backwards in terms of where the bedroom and bathroom should go.  Ramps come with the trailer, so add another plywood sheet for a ramp to the door.


No comments: