Friday, October 9, 2015

Obligatory 10.9.15; Working for the other guy v working for yourself

Just looked over something that I had almost forgotten about.  It is the off-the-grid pdf book I got from LeMar Alexander.

Interesting ideas for making a buck out there.  I had written off many of these ideas, but they aren't bad ideas.  What they require, however, is a bit of a learning curve and some investment.  I shouldn't be too quick to write them all off.  In a way, I haven't.  Let's just say that I've put them off until such a time as when I can get to them.  It will take the move out west in order to even get started on them.

That move was a Catch-22.  You can't make it out there without an income, but you needed an income to go out there.  Perhaps that has been accomplished with the Uber idea.  I can take my job with me.

But Uber is like working for the other guy.  That stuff I can do off grid is like working for myself.  I haven't had much success with my ideas of working for myself.  I have been trying to achieve something like that for the last 20 years or more.  Lots of ideas have come and gone.  I have written about some of them on this blog, maybe most of them.

The idea of trading on the internet is one of those ideas that I've written about a lot.  Actually, this blog started out as another way to make a buck.  That seems almost comical now.  The trading idea is going down in flames, too.  You need money for that, and there's no more money for that.

The ability to work for yourself is one that will give the most freedom.  Or so it seems.  I look at my boss, and I wonder how much freedom is that?  He seems a lot more tied down than me.

Does money make you free, or does it bind you like a slave master?  He has to hire somebody to replace me, or anyone else who decides to leave.  He has to keep his customers happy, even if it comes at a serious loss of personal time.

Is freedom an illusion, then?  Seems like whatever you do tends to bind you down in some way.


No comments: