Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Trailer plans, 3/24/15

Prev    Next

This post will go into the construction subseries of the off-the-grid main series of posts.

All construction will have to take into account my total lack of experience.  I have no experience.  Period.  This is a first for me.

Consequently, the ideas that are the most attractive to me are the simplest ones.  With that in mind, I present a home made door concept.  It will consist of nothing more than a frame about 6 ft tall and 3 ft wide.  This should allow easy access to the interior of the sleeper.  The door will be placed at the back end of the trailer.  It will use standard hinges, plywood, 2x4s, and a homemade door "knob".

The rest of the sleeper is simplicity itself.  It will be rectangular.  It will fit the size of the trailer I ordered, which is only 5x8 feet.  It will be insulated.  It will use plywood on all sides, as well as the floor and ceiling.  There will be no windows.

Ventilation?  Not sure yet.  I want an air exchange, but not very much.  There won't be any plumbing.  Water is to be brought in for showering and cleaning.  It is to be taken out immediately afterward.  Climate control will consist of sun blocking in the summer, swamp coolers and a cool air circulation device that I have in mind.  In the winter, the same device will help keep it warm.  Electricity will generated with a solar array on the roof.  Control devices and batteries will be kept inside.

That's the basics.  Most everything has been covered already.

Door to be typical surface material throughout: plywood

No comments: