Friday, July 8, 2011

An Establishment in Panic

I have not always agreed with Pat Buchanan, but this time, I guess I do.  That is, assuming he is right about this:
The House has not said it will not raise the debt ceiling. It must and will. It has not said it will not accept budget cuts. It has indicated a willingness to accept the budget cuts agreed to in the Biden negotiations.

Where the GOP has stood its ground is on tax increases.

From what I heard about the spending cuts, they are mostly smoke and mirrors.  If this is all they can get, I would say ok.  Frankly, I would suggest not accepting the deal without deeper cuts.  But if they get cuts without taxes, maybe it is the best they can do.

If the real hangup is that the Democrats won't go along unless there are tax increases based upon the phony cuts thus far offered, then I say hurray for them.  No way they give them higher taxes and no real cuts.   It is really a very, very bad deal.

No comments: