Monday, September 3, 2012

Alas, Babylon

I remember reading that book back in high school. It is eerily similar to what is going on now. The book is about the aftermath of the nuclear war between the Soviet Union and the United States.

It is hard to believe that it has come down to this, but that may be where we are heading. The Russians are talking tough. We've got all of the Arab World against us it seems, as well as the Chinese and the Russians. The odds are not good for us. The main thing we have going for us is technology and that may not all be ours-- nor all of it secure against hacking.

Therefore, the outcome of this war, should it occur, does not appear favorable for us. But I am not a military expert.

The Russians appear to recognize their advantage and will push it to the hilt. I don't think Obama wants to fight, but he may be pushed into it.

All of this is insane. There is no reason for us to be in a war with Russia, for crying out loud. But the Russians resent their loss during the Cold War, and I think Putin wants revenge. The desire for revenge is a mortal sin. That mortal sin may result in a war that could kill billions of people. For what? Russia wants to deny Israel the right to defend itself. This is not acceptable.

It is hard to say why we are in this position. I don't think we have been unjust, but I do think we have been unwise. It may be too late now to cry over spilt milk. What's done is done. I think the Israelis will attack. I think the Russians will jump in. This will bring us in. There will be naval, air, and missile battles. I have no idea who will prevail. I think it is likely that Houston will be a prime target with a really big H Bomb or two. Maybe even three. There won't be many survivors around here. I don't expect to myself.

In the meantime, I think China will take advantage and attack Taiwan. There's little we can do about that. I don't think we are prepared to wage a war on this many fronts. A war with China may go nuclear fast, as with Russia. If all this happens, billions of people will die.

As I wrote earlier, it may be better to negotiate a strategic retreat. But human and nationalistic pride may forbid that. Pride goes before a fall. Hopefully, the unseemly pride is not ours, but I am not so sure of that. It may not matter who is at fault when everybody is dead, and the world is in ruins.

Pray for peace.



I think I should note that I thought this might have in 1973 with the Yom Kippur War. It may have come close back then. Just one misstep and Kaboom! That's all she wrote.

No comments: